There are a lot of different internet articles being written about creating a generous church culture. For example, Pastor Steve Furtick is doing a 4 part blog series on creating a culture of generosity. Click here to view part 1 and part of this series. Another quick example of internet articles dealing with creating a culture of generosity….Leadership Network Website.
Here is my point….I don’t have to write a blog entry encouraging Eastside to be or become a generous church because we ARE a GENEROUS CHURCH FAMILY already.
I would like to express my gratitude to each one of you for helping Eastside to be a model for other churches in this arena. I am proud to share with others that I pastor a very generous congregation of people. Here are some of the highlights from ’09 that illustrates that we are a generous congregation. Remember: our annual church budget is less than $500,000.00.
Highlights of our Generosity in ’09:
1. Adopted 30 families with Compassion International. That’s a $38.00 per month per child commitment.
2. Packed 106,000 meals for Feed My Starving Children Organization or $17,000.00 investment.
3. Provided over $5,000.00 to our local food bank, God’s Outreach Food Pantry of Madison County.
4. Help to start the Madison County Back Pack Ministry that impacts over 400 children each month during the school year.
5. 350 children in Upward Basketball and Cheerleading League. We gave away over $1,000.00 in scholarship this year.
6. Provided 30 food baskets at Thanksgiving for children in Madison County Schools.
7. Multiple small groups are adopting families this year for Christmas. Your care for the needy is amazing.
8. Last night Eastside was presented the Hospice Care Plus, Inc Above and Beyond Award for showing generosity and kindness to our local Hospice Care Center. Hospice uses Eastside’s facility on a monthly bases to have their staff meetings. They have close to 100 employees.
9. Our support for the Cooperative Program is also amazing…this year we will give over $20,000.00 to the Cooperative Program.
10. Last Friday at the City of Richmond’s Christmas Parade we gave away 18 gallons of hot chocolote.
11. Eastside’s Staff Team has agreed to forgo a Christmas present exchange this year and to donate $204.00 to Feed My Starving Children to feed 20 children for a month.
The above doesn’t take in account of what we have done for the Gilmin Boys Home, Brian Kiser, Daniel Boone Elementary School, Liberty Place, Hopes Wings Domestic Abuse Shelter, and a whole host of other people and families we have helped this year.
Our goal of investing/giving away over $100,000 in ’09 is a REALITY! Thank you Eastside for being a generous church and for transforming lives. You are the greatest.
BTW, thanks to Brook and Carla and their team who pulled off the Children’s Christmas Play. In the words of Dick Vital, “Baby, it was awesome.”
Love and Prayers,
PS Don’t forget that Sunday we are collecting our Mini M&M’s Containers full of quarters. Our goal is to provide 30,000 meals for