On Sunday, the Eastside Church Family turned in 12 names of lost people who needed praying for. I was praying for each one of these individuals by name and recording their names in my prayer notebook when I received the following email from Perry Noble who is the pastor of NewSpring Church. I think this devotion fits in with the “missional awakening” discussion which we started on Sunday. Grab your Bible and let’s dive into the fact that FOUND PEOPLE FIND PEOPLE…
#1 – Read Matthew 9:9-13 and answer the following questions…
- Who saw who first (Matthew 9:9)?
- What did Matthew automatically do after he met Jesus (Matthew 9:10)?
- Why did Jesus say He had came to earth when being questioned about His associations by the religious experts of the day (Matthew 9:11-13)?
#2 – Turn to John 1:35-51 and answer the following questions…
- How did Andrew meet Jesus (John 1:35-40)?
- What does the Bible say the first thing Andrew did was after meeting Jesus (John 1:41-42)?
- Did Andrew try to change Peter…or did he simply bring him to a place, introduce him to Jesus and let Jesus change him (John 1:41-42)?
- Who found who (John 1:43)?
- What did Phillip do once he was found (John 1:44-45)?
- Did Nathaniel believe automatically or was he skeptical at first (John 1:46)?
- What was Phillip’s response at the end of John 1:46? (Notice that he simply wanted to get him to a place where Nathaniel could meet Jesus! He knew that only Jesus can change someone!)
- Did Nathaniel automatically believe as soon as he saw Jesus or did it take time (John 1:47-49)?
#3 – Turn to Luke 14:15-23 and answer the following questions….
- Is it common for people to have excuses when we invite them to church (Luke 14:15-20)?
- What was The Master’s response…to give up on people or keep pursuing them (Luke 14:21)?
- Does Jesus want His house to be empty or full (Luke 14:22-23)?
#4 – A few other things to consider…
- Check out Matthew 4:18-19 and notice what Jesus says that He will make His followers into! (Fishers of men!!!)
- Some more verses to read about this are Matthew 28:18-20, Mark 16:15, Luke 24:45-48, John 20:21, Acts 1:8, Romans 1:16, Romans 10:14-17, II Corinthians 5:12-21 and Philemon 1:6
#5 – Take some time to ask God to open your eyes to the people who are in your life that need Christ…and then be patient (II Peter 3:9) and persistant with them.
Missional Awakening Prayer: “O God, awaken our affections so that we obey your spirit and surrender to your worldwide mission.”
QUESTIONS: Who are you praying for that is far from God? Who are you inviting to church that is far from God?
HAVE A PRAYER REQUEST: Please share any prayer requests you have by emailing your them to email@example.com.