Over the past 6 months there has been a very intentional effort on Eastside’s leadership to evaluate our current legal and financial systems at Eastside. We feel like it is very important to maintain on-going integrity in all arenas of the church life. We have spent a lot of time and energy with our lawyer and accountant to make sure that we are up-to-date on all legal issues. Based on these conversations over the last six months here are their recommendations:
Eastside’s Articles of Guidances (or what the lawyer refers to as By-Laws) (click on this link to read them: ECC_Articles of Guidance) needs to be formally voted on by the congregation. This will happen on Sunday, April 17th, 2011 after our morning worship gathering. Our current Articles of Guidance is what Eastside has been working from for the last 10 years. But with no formal record of these articles being accepted by the congregation then Eastside’s lawyer recommends we have a formal vote on us accepting these articles as our actual by-laws/Articles of Guidance. There is nothing legally wrong with our current Articles of Guidance he just wants it to be “legally clean.”
Eastside’s accountant has suggested some minor policy and procedure changes to more nearly ensure that we are a great steward of the resources which God blesses us with. Here are some of the simple procedure changes:
1. Direct Deposit for Payroll
2. Out source payroll and all payroll taxes to our CPA
3. Quarterly Contribution Statements for Membership (this way you are able to review your giving on a quarterly basis rather than an annual basis)
4. Accountant will do monthly bank reconciliation’s.
5. Eliminated the church’s debit card
6. Implemented a new reimbursement process
7. Developed and adopted a new policy and procedure manual for the business manager.
As you can see there has been a lot going on working going on over the last six months.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Love and Prayers,
PS Go CATS!