I love Easter because this specific celebration is all about Jesus. As we go embark on “Holy Week” let our prayer be “we would like to see Jesus” ( see Jn 12:21). Easter forces us to answer the question found in Matthew 22:24 (look up). We all must answer this question. What is your answer?
What is the unique characteristic of the Person of our Lord Jesus Christ? It is this – He is at the same time 100% human and 100% divine. “He holds within Himself the two natures in perfect poise and balance.” He is God and Man. This is a great mystery – look up 1 Timothy 3:16. This is an AWESOME verse.
1. THE HUMANITY OF JESUS CHRIST
Over two thousand years ago, He who had always been with the Father came to earth – look up John 1:1,14; Galatians 4:4; Philippians 2:6-8.
As Jesus lived on earth notice how His humanity was expressed:
• Jesus was born just as other children are born – look up Luke 2:4-7.
• Jesus grew in wisdom and stature – look up Luke 2:40,52.
• Jesus was subject to the frailties of human nature (apart from sin):
o hunger – look up Matthew 4:2; Mark 11:12; John 19:28
o weariness – look up Mark 4:38;John 4:6;
o pain – look up John 19:3,28-30;
o temptation – look up Luke 4:13;
o death – look up John 19:30.
He was the perfect Man – altogether without sin (Lk 23:41,47; Jn 8:46,19:4; Heb 4:15, 7:26; 1 Pt 2:21-22).
2. THE DEITY OF JESUS CHRIST
Jesus did not become God. He always was, is and will be God (Heb 13:8). He became man – look up Galatians 4:4. See what Colossians 2:9 says of Jesus.
At Caesarea Philippi, Peter made his great confession, which our Lord stated had been given by divine inspiration – He allowed Peter to acknowledge Him as ‘the Christ, the Son of the living God’ – look up Matthew 16:13-17.
Think of His ‘I AM’s’ in John’s Gospel (6:35; 8:12; 10:9; 10:14; 11:25; 14:6; 15:1). What do these mean if He is not God?
Think of His miracles – signs that demonstrated His deity.
• Jesus turned the water into wine – look up John 2:1-11
• He healed a son – look up John 4:46-54
• He made a man whole – look up John 5:1-16
• He fed a multitude – look up John 6:1-14
• He stilled a storm – look up Mark 4:35-41
• He gave sight to the blind – look up John 9:1-38
• He raised the dead – John 11:1-46
All these demonstrate that He was Lord over time, distance, disease, death, and disaster. Surely you would agree all of these point to Jesus’ deity?
Love and Prayers,
Join us Sunday, April 24, 2011 at either 9:00 am or 10:50 am for our Easter Celebration Worship Gatherings.